RedHat 9 install cannot open root device and kernel panic

Allen, Catherine callen at skandia.de
Wed Oct 13 07:35:14 UTC 2004

> Didn't load the correct driver for the RAID card.  I'm not
> familiar with that particular model of HP machine.
> What kind of RAID card is in it?

The Proliant DL380 (G3) has a SmartArray 5i Plus.

I don't know if this is a RAID card or what - I don't want to have to open
the box to find out.  Windows gave very little information about it.

The driver required is the cpq_cciss driver - which is in the standard
drivers, I think, because when I booted "noprobe" from CDROM, the system
could load the cciss driver and the installation continued to the next point
(finding the CD - or in my case, not finding the CD).

> Is it a SCSI CD or an IDE CD?

I'm guessing that it's a SCSI CD.  So I need to boot linux without the
noprobe option - but still get it to load the cciss driver to be able to see
the logical drives?

> How did the boot floppy know you would have an hda2 partition

It didn't (and I don't).  The screen says that if you don't type
anything within a certain timeframe, at the
boot :
prompt, then the linux install will default to using /dev/hda2

I doubt that this is probed or anything, because I don't think I
have a /dev/hda2 - so I'm not surprised when it fails because it
doesn't recognise /dev/hda2

Thanks.

C.Allen.