known good PCI wireless NICs for FC2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Oct 13 22:17:42 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>

>> Yup.  Remember that if you specify your key in ASCII, the key must
>> be prefixed with "s:", e.g. in your ifcfg-wlan0:
>>
>>     KEY=s:whateveryourkeyis
>>
>>> 3) Anything else I should be aware of?
>>

>> Nope.  Remember to set up the ESSID=, CHANNEL= and KEY= stuff and
>> you should be good to go.
>>
>> Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've been busy.  Yes, I neglected
>> to tell you that you needed the .inf and .sys files.  DOH!
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>

> Rick,
>    I owe you feedback on this one of these days soon. However, I ran
> into a problem with the 802.11 network conflicting with a cordless phone
> everyone in the house seems to use. Only today did I manage to get a
> replacement for the phone so hopefully I can get the network turned back
> on and get this working.
>
>    I didn't want you to think that I don't appreciate all your help. I
> do very much - just going slow...

Yoikes!  Yes, that's an issue with 802.11b and .11g.  I have a
"gigahertz" phone so it's never been an issue with me.  Of course, you
could keep the phone and go to 802.11a on the network (snicker!).
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -