Drivers / Modules help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Oct 20 18:48:11 UTC 2004

Patrick Johnson wrote:
> I’m attempting to install a Hauppauge WINTV RADIO pci card (BT878
> chipset) on my RedHat Enterprise Linux WS version 3.  The driver for the
> card is the bttv driver.  From my research about the driver it is
> suppose to be built into the Linux kernel.  I’m running Kernel
> 2.4.21-20EL-i686.

It's not built-in, it's a module.  Do an "lsmod" to see if it loaded.

>                     RedHat’s hardware browser shows the card as a video
> capture card and defines the driver as bttv.  However the card is not
> “mapped” to a device.  I tried running
>

> % xawtv –noxv
>
> And it returned
>
> Can’t open /dev/video0

That's possible.  By default, /dev/video is owned by root, group of root
and has 600 permissions.  This means you must be the root user to open
/dev/video0.  Try it again as the root user.

If you must run that as an unprivileged user, do this:

	% su -          (yes, that's "su dash")
	Password:       (put in the root password to become root)
	# chmod 666 /dev/video0
	# exit
	%

That makes you root, changes the permissions on /dev/video0 and changes
you back to the unprivileged user.  /dev/video0 should now be available
to you.

> I don’t really now how to troubleshoot this as I’m still a novice Linux
> user.

Hang in there.  You'll get it.

> I looked under /lib/modules/<Kernel version>/Kernel/drivers and I didn’t
> see the bttv module.  When I try to modprobe for bttv it returns an
> error saying it can’t locate the module.

Check "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video".  Note that
there's no capital "K", and the "`uname -r`" is the same thing as your
"<Kernel version>" bit.

Note that when you do modprobe, you must "modprobe bttv", not "modprobe
bttv.o" (don't include the ".o" bit).

> However, when I look under
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-20.EL/drivers/media/video I do see the bttv module
> source.

Yes, that's the source.

> Do I need to rebuild the Kernel?

No.  The distribution kernel RPM includes the module pre-built.

>                                 I don’t know how to tell if the bttv
> driver is already there and I don’t know how to rebuild the kernel
> either.  I apologize if this is the wrong mailing list to be asking this
> type of question but if it is could you direct me to where I can get help?

"lsmod" (as the root user) will display all of the modules that are
loaded.  The module itself lives in the directory I mentioned above.
-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -