Drivers / Modules help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Oct 21 22:43:03 UTC 2004

Patrick Johnson wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Thank you so much for responding back.
>
> I looked under the /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers directory as
> you said and I don't see the bttv module or the media directory
> anywhere.

The directory is:

	/lib/modules/2.4.21-20-EL/kernel/drivers/media/video

If you want to search the whole tree, try:

	cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`
	find . -name "bttv.o" -print

and the system will show you the subdirectory where the module is
located--if it is indeed installed.

> I ran "lsmod" and didn't see the bttv module listed.  I don't understand
> why it is in the source directory but nowhere else to be found.
> Also, I am running all this as root just to eliminate any permissions.
>
> I again tried "modprobe bttv" as root and again it returned "modeprobe:
> can't locate module bttv"
>
> Was the kernel (2.4.21-20.EL) possibly built with out the module on my
> system?  I'm guessing this maybe the case because I can find it in the
> src directory but not in the lib/module directory.

I suppose it's possible.  I don't have an EL machine here, but I just
checked an ES machine and you're right!  None of the media drivers have
been built!  Weird!

Well, if you want to build them, as root:

	# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
	# make distclean
	# cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config  (yes, that's "dot-config")
	# make xconfig

This will bring up your kernel configurator.  Click on the "Multimedia"
button and make sure the "M" radio button is colored in at the top (this
says that stuff will be built as modules).  If that's set, click on
"Main Menu", then "Save and exit".

Next, edit the "Makefile" file and change the "EXTRAVERSION=" value to
match what your kernel is.  In your case, you probably just need to
remove the "custom" bit.  It will probably initially look like:

	EXTRAVERSION = -20-ELcustom

You probably want it to read:

	EXTRAVERSION = -20-EL

Finally, do these commands:

	# make dep
	# make bzImage
	# make modules

The second and third commands will take quite a while to complete.  The
second one builds a new kernel, the third builds the modules.  You can
then either copy the appropriate modules to the /lib/modules/whatever
spot or you can "make module_install" to install all new modules.

Keep in mind that kernel building is NOT a trivial task.  If you're
not comfortable with it, don't do it.  However, the only way to learn
is to try it.  Just make sure you have a boot disk so you can recover
the system if you do it wrong.  I have a document you can look at that
may help:

	http://www.rhil.net/docs/kernelbuild.html

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked that EL doesn't have these modules already
built.
-           Denial.  It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore!         -