yum and cdrom

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 25 16:26:22 UTC 2004

Fred Grant wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Fred Grant wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to re-install a desktop (xfce). I have all the files on my
>>> cd-rom to do the install, including satisfying dependencies. I think
>>> it would be easiest by using yum but I can't seem to set yum (or
>>> /etc/yum.conf) to look at the cd-rom or yum says it can't find any
>>> headers. Have any of you got some pointers? Can this be done?
>>

>> If the CD is an image of a yum repository, yes, it can be done. Yum
>> wants a specific directory layout. If your CD doesn't have that layout,
>> yum won't work.
>>

> I see that yum needs a headers file and a header.info file. If I had a
> CD that has only rpms on it, is it possible to create these other files
> with scripts or from the command line? The headers file, for example,
> seems to just list the names of the rpms. The headers.info file has some
> other stuff on it that I don't pretend to understand.

"headers" is a list of which files are there.  "headers.info" contains
the dependencies and other whatnot to determine if it's appropriate for
your system.

> Or is there a better way to do this?

You can create all that stuff if you wish, but that's tedious, and
unless you have the proper scripts, error prone to do.

The easier method is to download the entire directory from the FTP site
(headers and all) and burn that to your CD.  This can be done using
"mget *" on the FTP client or by using the "-R" option to ncftpget
(recommended method).  See "man ncftpget" for details.
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -