RHEL 3 doesn't boot after successful install on HP Vectra 6/150

Krzysztof obrebski at comcast.net
Thu Oct 28 18:38:23 UTC 2004

Installation works like a charm every time.
I have two hard drives, 8GB and 2GB that I partition manually using Disk Druid.
I create /boot, /, /var, /usr, and swap partition as prescribed.  All is well.
When the system reboots I get a screen-full of word GRUB.  Oh, well.
I bring the system under the rescue mode and verify if the grub.config file in there.
   chroot  /mnt/sysimage
   cd  /boot/grub
It is, and it looks good.
The / (root) is on the /dev/hda3 partition which is not on the extended partition.
Just to make sure, I reinstall the grub:
   grub-install  /dev/hda
   exit
   exit
After the system reboots I get the same problem -  just one GRUB word on the screen !!!

Did anyone experience such a behaviour or has some ideas?  Any help would be appreciated!

Krzys