Access redhat9 files from windows xp

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Oct 28 19:22:59 UTC 2004

Jim Smith wrote:
> Rick;
>
> It has been a while since I messed with this, but don't you have to
> recompile you kernel to get NTFS support in Red Hat?  When you do, as I
> remember, you have the option to have NTFS - Read Only as well as Read/Write
> and that is flagged as experimental, you are crazy if you use this option,
> etc. .  .   .

That is correct.  Red Hat does not ship NTFS modules in its kernel RPMs.
You must build them, which means rebuilding the kernel from source and
enabling either NTFS read-only or NTFS read-write.  This doesn't mean
you need to _install_ the new kernel.  You must build it, then build the
modules, then you can copy the NTFS modules to the appropriate run-time
directory (/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.o).

> SuSE comes out of the box with Read only capabilities for NTFS volumes.
> Works fine.

Yes, it does.  Red Hat kernels don't, Fedora kernels don't, Slackware
kernels don't, and I don't think Mandrake kernels have it either.

By the way, we prefer bottom posting here.  Please set your mail client
accordingly.

-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -