RHEL 3 doesn't boot after successful install on HP Vectra 6/150

Krzysztof obrebski at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 22:28:33 UTC 2004

Rick,

Thanks for responding.  Here is the text of two grub.conf files that I tried
but unfortunately to no avail:
THIS FILE was generated by Red Hat software automatically.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and
#                   initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#                   root (hd0,0)
#                   kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#                   initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-20.EL)
           root (hd0,0)
           kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL  ro  root=LABEL=/  hdd=ide-SCSI
           initrd /initrd-2.4.21-20.EL.img

T H I S file is the one that I modified as I though it would make sense:
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-20.EL)
           root (hd0,2)
           kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL  ro  root=/dev/hda3
hdd=ide-SCSI
           initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-20.EL.img

Interestingly enough, the same install and the boot process did not give me
any
problems on my ThinkPad laptop even though I installed it on a separate
VMware
partition, in parallel with Windows 2000.

Krzysztof