Port Forwarding

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 16:48:19 UTC 2004

Gentlemen,

I read the page on SSH (http://rhil.net/docs/ssh_setup.html) and
want to clarify some things

I have three IP's I'm using/seeing

the IP of the Modem (24.X.X.X)
the IP of the Linksys switch (196.X.X.X)
the IP of the computer (196.X.X.X)

I'm thinking the command my son is to use for SSH is "ssh
24.X.X.X"

I need to forward TCP Port 22 on the switch to the IP of the
computer.

I'm guessing his signal will come to the Modem which will forward
everything to the Linksys switch.  The switch will see something
coming in on Port 22 and forward it to the computer also running
SSH (or PUTTY) which will handle the login and then do nothing.

Then he runs RealVNC to see the remote  screen on his local
computer and he can do as he wants from there.

I suspect some of the things he will want to do are:

check remote  email
pull up old reports he written for other classes (this remote
machine was his school computer prior to his new notebook this
year)
Print these reports  - will he be able to print locally or only
remote at my house?
Down load files from home to school.

Based on the VPN conncetion I have from home to work I don't
think he will be able to do the last two (at least I can't with
my work computer).

If he can't how does he do that?

Thanks,

Brad