Redhat-install-list Digest, Vol 7, Issue 5

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 6 22:40:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:10:21PM -0700, Sam Duvall wrote:

> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >    1. Re: Will not fully boot (Jeff Kinz)
>
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:29:58 -0400
> > From: Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org>
> > Subject: Re: Will not fully boot
> > To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:09:27PM -0700, Sam Duvall
> > wrote:
> > > I have Red Hat 8 and the power went off. Now it
> > will
> > > not boot past this;
> > >
> > > Bringing up interface ppp0:
> > >
> > > how can I force it past this?
> >
> > ppp0 - is usually a dial-up modem connection.
> > (Can also be DSL - sometimes)
> >
> > If it can't bring up the connection, and that
> > connection is required
> > for one of the boot time services, like "sendmail",
> > then your boot
> > can take a long time.
> >
> > Does it really stop booting completely or, if you
> > wait 10-15 minutes
> > does it then continue?
> >
> > (P.S. is the modem still plugged into the phone
> > line? )
> >
> The modem is still plugged in but when it went dead
> from power loss I was setting up my dialup and hadn't
> finnished with it.
>
> Also when setting up the dialup it couldn't find the
> modem. I done a new hardware search but couldn't find
> it.
>
> Also when I try to boot to DOS it gives me this;
>
> booting 'DOS'
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
> _
>
> ^--"above is supposed to be a cursour"
>
> If I could find out how to run fdisk in linux I would
> start all over because I have nothing to lose in it
> now.

You don't need to use fdisk.  Just boot with your CD #1 and redo the
install.

> Thank you in advance
>
> Sam Duvall
>

> P.S. Is this the right way to reply?

Yes.  Bottom posting is the preferred method.  However, when replying
to a digest, you should edit out all the extraneous messages (not
applicable as there was only one, this time), and change the subject
to something relevant.

For more info, see

http://www.rhil.net/docs/rhil-guide.html

Cheers,