disk space

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Sep 7 17:05:59 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>
>> What, may I ask, is a sane method of moving rh v8.0 from an 8gb disk to
>> say, a 30gb disk? Ghost? Mount and copy?
>

> Partition the new drive, then mount each filesystem and "cp -a" or use
> ghost.  Either will work.
>
> NOTE:  Regardless of how you do it, you will need to install either grub
> or lilo on the new drive for it to boot.  If you use lilo:
>
>     # chroot /newdrive/boot
>     # lilo
>     # exit
>
> If you use grub:
>
>     # grub-install /dev/whatever-the-new-drive-is

Rick,
    Hi. Long time.

    I've never done this sort of copy, but most of the threads I've read
seemed to strongly suggest that you need to boot into some form of
single user mode in order for this to be successful. Would you agree?

    It is my assumption that since Karl wants to copy 'rh v8.0' that he
really is copying the system drive. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

    Anyway, I've wondered this sort of stuff myself.

Thanks,
Mark