up2date --register showed wrong version info

csu4 at fedex.com csu4 at fedex.com
Thu Sep 16 08:21:05 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I have one RHEL3AS server needed to run up2date (4.2.38-1). But I got the
following error message:

Invalid Architecture and OS combination (3, i686-redhat-linux)....

I knew that someone has encountered the similar cases and more or less
found
the way to resolve it. But none of them is the same as mine. By right, the
version should be "3AS, i686-redhat-linux", somehow the up2date collected
wrong info. As the result, my box is registered but with no detail listed
and
no channels able to be subscribed in the rhn.redhat.com. This has nothing
do with my RHN account and entitlement.

My question is, where does "up2date --register" or "rhn_register" collect
the
info from? My /etc/redhat-release shows "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS
release 3 (Taroon Update 2)", which is correct as I installed OS from a U2
ISO CD-ROM. My "uname -a" shows "Linux hostname 2.4.21-15.0.4.ELsmp #1 SMP
Sat Jul 31 01:25:25 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux", which is supposed
be right, compared with my another testing box which is running fine with
the
up2date. How can I "cheat" the up2date in this case? Or which system file
or
parameters to set to right version info? Or is there any way to work around
instead of reinstall from scratch?

Thx & Rgds,

Chang Hong