moving hard drive to new machine : can't get past grub

P. George invest at juun.com
Mon Sep 20 01:29:05 UTC 2004

maybe the first thing to focus on is the GRUB setup from the previous
installation:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hdc2
initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

i can't remember how i had the other machine setup.  it's been a while.
  but as for the new setup, i have the hard drive on the primary bus and
set to master/single.  ALL other peripherals are removed to make sure i
can bootup first.  once i get that working, i'll start adding drivers
for everything else.  so, right now it's just a motherboard, cpu, power
supply, video card, and hard drive.  nothing else.

should i change "hdc2" to something else?  if so, what?

thanks.

- philip