cannot boot to dos

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Sep 20 20:29:25 UTC 2004

Sam Duvall wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have redhat ver 8 installed and have a second hard
> drive that should boot to DOS and when I try to boot
> to that drive I get this message
>
> "booting to DOS"
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> What I am wanting to do is uninstall redhat and format
> both hard drives so I can install XP again because my
> lead computer needs replaced and I want to use that
> one for mt home network server.
>
> Can I use fdisk in redhat to do this or do I have to
> use fdisk for windows?

Either, but since you're reinstalling XP, just boot the CD and have
XP wipe out the hard drive.

> I have tried to install XP by booting from the cdrom
> drive and it boots red hat anyway.

Then you don't have the BIOS set properly.  You must reboot the machine
and get into the BIOS (by pressing the DEL, F2 or F12 keys, depending on
the BIOS).  Go into the boot device order list and set it up to boot
from the CD-ROM first, THEN the hard drive.  I normally set systems up
to try the floppy first, the CD second, the hard drive third, and
(possibly) the network last.
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -