Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Sep 28 19:27:42 UTC 2004

On Tue 28 September 2004 04:25, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm curious as to whether grub store some physical info about the root
> partition, like it's starting and ending cluster numbers, etc., and
> not jsut the /dev/hdaX number. That sort of thing would explain more
> about this problem. hda7 is still hda7, but the address is different
> so it doesn't think it's the same hda7...
Although you've already got this solved, you should probably know that you are
quite correct.
GRUB is split into two parts, the first and second stages. The first stage is
a small (446b IIRC) binary file that goes onto the MBR (or indeed first
sector) of your bootable disc/partition. This is a supremely unintelligent
binary which simply loads the second stage bootloader (by disc sector).
The second stage is the full binary that provides your boot menu, allowing you
to choose between kernels (and other OSs if configured that way).
It is the second stage that looks for /boot/grub/grub.conf (well actually
menu.lst, which is symlinked to grub.conf)
So if you change the location of your root (or indeed /boot) FS you need to
reinstall your 1st stage BL, which is what the grub-install command does.

any help?

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX