MBR not suitable as boot device; installing to partition

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 1 17:07:15 UTC 2005

Oliver Hookins wrote:
> I'm setting up a kickstart installation environment for RHEL-ES-4, and
> created a kickstart file using the kickstart configuration generator.
> When I boot the new machine from the network using the kickstart file
> it generates the message:
>
> * MBR not suitable as boot device; installing to partition
>
> And proceeds through the rest of the installation. After rebooting,
> the machine hangs at the GRUB prompt. Something is not right here, the
> commands used in the kickstart file with regard to the disks and
> bootloader are as follows:
>
> bootloader --location=mbr
> zerombr yes
> clearpart --all --initlabel
>
> It is installing to SCSI disks in a RAID1 configuration but that
> shouldn't make any difference to how GRUB is installed - it hasn't
> even reached any partitioning information at this stage. Any ideas?
> This definitely wasn't an issue under RHEL-ES-3.

You didn't say how the RAID is set up nor which kind of controller its
on.  ES4 is based on Fedora Core 3 and a 2.6 kernel.  RAID controllers
are handled a bit different under the 2.6 kernel--especially if it's
an I2O-based RAID controller.  Check the docs.
-       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -