mail command

Chris Hewitt rhil at manordata.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 30 10:58:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 23:09, wang wrote:
> Hi, everybody, this is Owen,
>
> mail command in my Linux server worked very good before.
>
> But it stopped working now.
>
> if I type,
>
> mail owenewo58 at hotmail.com -s test
> text here
>
> It doesn't send out message.
>
> I don't why and can not fix it.
>
> Could somebody pelase help?
>
> Any comment will be appreciated.
>
> My Linux Server: RH 9.
>
> Owen.

Owen,

If is used to work, then something has changed to make it not work. So
the question is what have you changed since it did work?

I'm assuming you did put the dot on the last line of the message? That
is:
mail owenewo58 at hotmail.com -s test
text here
.

Does it send mail locally, e.g.:
mail root at localhost -s test
text here
.

Assuming sendmail is your MTA, is it running? At the prompt
([chris at amdk63 chris]$ is my prompt), if you  do:
[chris at amdk63 chris]$ ps ax|grep sendmail
 3056 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h
 2200 pts/0    S      0:00 grep sendmail
[chris at amdk63 chris]$
Do you get the "/usr/sbin/sendmail" line?

Can you ping your mailserver?

If you let us know these then we should be able to help you.

Hope this helps

Chris