Router Problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 4 16:46:18 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Ted Potter wrote:
>

>>just guessing but you have two routers both using the same ip block
>>space. So how does one router route to the other router. Wow, can't
>>believe I just typed that.
>>guess two: turn the wireless router in to a wireless access point.
>>
>>trust me when I say I am guessing. Someone with network experience
>>should be able to squash my little guesses like bugs.
>>
>>hth
>>

> Ted,
>
> Thanks for the guesses 8^)
>
> Let me see if I understand them.
>
> G1 - As they are both 192.168.1. I can go from one to the other
> but not back out.  I believe your saying I should change one to
> 192.168.2. (the wireless as it's only got one machine connected
> so it should be eaiser).  Will that give me any problems getting
> in and out of other computers?

Wait...both the Linksys and the Motorola are use the same IP?  Bad!
You're only allowed one machine per IP per network segment.

It's possible you've got conflicting routes.  It'd help if you were to
show us the config for both the Linksys and Motorola devices, as well
as the routing table ("netstat -rn") of a machine having problems.

> G2 -not sure what a wireless access point is.....

Any radio that connects wireless machines to wired networks is an access
point.  While the term is generally reserved for devices that do only
that, an AP can do other things as well.  For example, your wireless
routers is also an access point--since it connects wireless devices to
your wired network.
-         The Navy's a bunch of wimps!  MY job's an adventure!       -