Linux to Linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 6 16:41:47 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Please see below for my results
>
> Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
>
> There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
> understand binary and those that don't.
>
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> DONE

> OK no problems reported

> Did this replaced nfsserver with my ip 192.168.1.103 and
> mountpoint with /brads

Fine.

> Tried this and got the error:
> 	mount:192.168.1.103:/home/brad failed, reason given by
> server: Permission denied

Hmmmm.  On the client, try "showmount -e 192.168.1.103" and verify that
the server really is exporting the filesystem.  Also check your netmask
on both the server and client.  If they're 255.255.255.0, then change
the allowed network in the "/etc/exports" file on the server to
"192.168.1.0/24".

> Tried this with the same error

As the root user or as a normal user?  This should be done as root.

> I tried changeing the nfsserver to nfsserver and the machine's
> name but same error

The line should be:

	mount -t nfs 192.168.1.103:/home/brad /brads

(in fact the "-t nfs" isn't really necessary as the server's export
is enough to tell mount that it's an NFS mount).

> OK no errors

> OK no errors

Remember, that doesn't start the processes, it just sets up the stuff
in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d.

> BTW - I can now ping between the two machines.

You couldn't before?

> Question - if I get this to work I'll need to hard code the IP
> address - how would this work if the IP was assigned on boot like
> it is now?

If you can't use fixed IPs on the server end, you'll need to set up
dynamic DNS and use the DNS name of the server in the mount on the
client.  Sorry, but DHCP was never meant for server-class machines.

> Still no printer but let's get the first part working

Yes, one problem at a time.
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -