root password recovery

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 7 01:28:49 UTC 2005

Rajesh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My previous system admin has installed Red Hat Linux Enterprise server 3.0
> on a Sun V20z and left. We don't have the root password to access the
> machine. How can 	I change the root password? On sun boxes we can boot
> with CDROM to single user mode and delete the password entry in the
> /etc/shadow file. I don't have much Linux skills. Could someone please tell
> me how I can recover the root password. I don't have any boot floppy or
> anything for that machine. Any help would be really appreciated.

Bring the machine up in single user mode.  When it comes up to the "#"
prompt, use the "passwd" command to change the password.  Then enter
"exit" to let the machine reboot to normal mode.

If you don't know how to boot in single user mode, at the blue boot
screen, hit "CTRL-X".  At the resulting "boot:" prompt, enter
"linux single".
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -