Card Reader

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon Apr 11 04:16:15 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:

> I have a new computer I installed Linux on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
> release 4 (Nahant), it has one of those all-in-one card readers on it.
> I have made mountpoints as root as follows for my thumb, Compact flash
> and secure digital drive.
>
> mkdir /mnt/thumb
> mkdir /mnt/cf
> mkdir /mnt/sd
>
> Now when I tried to mount the Thumb (USB) drive I got an error # mount
> /dev/sda2 /mnt/thumb
> mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/thumb busy.
>
> So what have I done wrong?  I'm thinking sda2 is wrong, but don't know
> why?
>
> df -h shows the following
>
> [root at localhost mnt]# df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                      183G  2.9G  171G   2% /
> /dev/sda1              99M   19M   76M  20% /boot
> none                  247M     0  247M   0% /dev/shm
> [root at localhost mnt]#
>
> Thanks.

Your thumb drive may indeed be already mounted. Gnome (FC3) mounts my
thumb drive automatically. To see what drives the system sees try the
RedHat --> System Tools --> Hardware browser. Look at hard disks. It
will tell you what hard disks you have and what the system sees them as
eg. sda1 sdb2 etc. Then set up your /etc/fstab file accordingly.