fc3 evaluation

Parek Andrada parek8 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:57:06 UTC 2005

First off be gentle, noob here.

I'm trying to evaluate various freeware linux distros to implement as
desktop and server. Seems that there's a myriad of distros to choose
from and I want to know some people that have gone thru my path.
1. Mandrake seems to be consumer-oriented. Official requires you to
pay yearly membership for updates although you can get updates without
being a member (no fee) if you urpmi from mirrors other than Mandrake.
2. A lot of red hat-based distros like wbel (very active mailing
lists, but just maintained by 1 person), centos (updates regularly as
community based), lineox (did not test), Scientific Linux, etc.
3. Suse based, novell (requires fees for updates after 1 free year),
yoper (synaptic upgrades)

Also tried debian, ubuntu, slackware and freebsd and the more I test
the more I get confused on what to use as some has
strengths/weaknesses. Now, I just want some honest opinions not biased
on some distro although I am biased on fc3 as I am sending to this
lists!