Sound Card

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 00:04:54 UTC 2005

Hi Scott,
   The standard for Linux sound these days is Alsa. I'm not exactly
sure what Gnome is attempting to do for you but it's probably not
going to get the job done. Let's jsut go back to basics and get it
handled.

   Probably the most simple way to approach the problem is to let Alsa
set it up for you. Try running alsaconf and see if it finds the card.
If it does it will liekly set up modprobe.conf and you'll be almost
ready to go. At that point you can try /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound
start and see what happens.

   If it doesn't find the card then run lspci and let us know what the card is.

Cheers,
Mark