Mirror Mirror

Scott Mertens smertens at mho.com
Thu Apr 14 19:45:46 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> With these SATA drives as cheap as they are I am thinking about just
> purchasing another 200 GIG HD and setting up a mirror in Linux.
>

> My thinking is that if one drives fails, I can simply break the
> mirror, switch SATA hard drive cables - re-boot and away I go.
>
> I am using
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
>
> Can anyone tel me if this is possible, or do I have my head way up my
> ???  Is this something Linux can do out of the box, or is there some
> add-on's I need to accomplish.

>It is certainly doable by either hardware or software.  You're talking
about RAID-1 (disk mirroring).  Most SATA >controllers are capable of doing
it, but usually need the help of the OS to accomplish it.

>Linux has software RAID (called "md" for "multiple devices").  grub has
support for booting software RAID
at:

Thanks Rick, good advice.  I'm wondering if this might be a better way, as
far as getting back up and running quicker and easier than say rsync. Drive
space is pretty inexpensive.

Any thoughts on ease of use/setup of either method?

Thanks

	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -
redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com