Update 1 Beta question

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold friz at godshell.com
Fri Apr 15 14:30:46 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:

>I have been told by Redhat support that the drivers for my sound card
>are not in my current release.  Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4
>(Nahant)
>
>I was also told they were included in Update 1 Beta which would be
>supported for one month if applied.  Hopefully by that time the official
>release would be out. In looking at the website it looks like a complete
>reinstall of Linux?  I might be wrong on this, but when I added myself
>to the beta list it took me to a page to download ISO's.
>
>My question is to apply this update, do I need to burn ISO's and do a
>complete re-install of RHES?  Or is there another way?

Until they release the updates on the up2date server, that may be the
only way.  I would recommend calling and asking if there's a beta rhn
server where you can do this..

You *could* re-install 4.0 with the iso's provided, but...  I'd be
afraid to try that unless this was a non-critical server..

>When I installed I did not care about sound as this is a server in a
>workgroup.  However I am being asked if I can put an answering maching
>on this Linux box, Yes the old Real-to-Real tape finally broke after 20
>years!  and of course first I have to get sound working to play back
>messages.
>
>To that end if anyone is aware of any RH software that will answer phone
>and take messages, let me know.

Hrm..  not off the top of my head..  The only relephony product I'm
aware of is Asterisk ...  I believe that's a PBX program though..  I
don't know much about it..  yet..  :)

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
friz at godshell.com
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming."