New drive

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:09:34 UTC 2005

> > Mark's idea of using fdisk is logical.  If you do "fdisk -l /dev/sda",
> > you should see a summary of how big the drive is as well as the
> > partition table on it.  Similarly, you should be able to do an "fdisk -l
> > /dev/sdb" and see a similar thing, but you'll probably only see one
> > partition that's listed as "W95 FAT32".
>
> [root at RHServer01 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2              14       24321   195254010   8e  Linux LVM
>
> So if I am reading this right, it is telling me the first disk has two
> partitions on it.  sda1, and sda2

Well, yes, but then what's inside the LVM partition is beyond me. I
guess your swap partition is in there but we cannot see it. I don't
like stuff I cannot see so I haven't used LVM.

> [root at RHServer01 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 203.9 GB, 203928109056 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1       24792   199141708+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> [root at RHServer01 ~]#
>
> This is the one I just added and formatted as Fat32.

There you go! You're a star!

> Two questions come to mind.
> 1.  How can I tell what shares/directories are on sda2?  Like /home /usr
> etc.

The mount command:

[mark at Godzilla mark]$ mount
/dev/hda4 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /var/lib/jack/tmp type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /home/mark/Audio/audio1 type ext3
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mark)
/dev/sdb3 on /home/mark/Audio/audio2 type ext3
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mark)
/dev/sdc1 on /home/mark/Audio/audio3 type ext3
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mark)
/dev/sdb1 on /home/mark/music type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mark)
[mark at Godzilla mark]$

> 2. sdb1 is showing as a boot device, this is the drive I intend on
> making a backup drive.  Do I need to do anything to mount it, or has it
> automounted?  Does it even matter given that you said earlier that Ghost
> will write block for block from drive to drive.

It's marked bootable by your DOS software. My input (if and when you
are ready) is to enter fdisk, blow the partition away, make one or
more new ones, format them, mount them, and then be done with the
gremlin on the other end of this chat named 'mark'. ;-)

CAUTION - Please read the man pages and proceed carefully here. The
following is from memory, but I do this fairly often to it's not
distant memory.

CAUTION 2 - If Rick or anyone more exerienced than me (almost
everyone!) says to do somethign different then OBEY them with a smile!
;-)

Here's how I think it would go:

fdisk /dev/sdb

p (to make sure you are on the right drive with one partition)
1
1
Hit enter a couple of times to make one partition the full size of the drive
p (to see your new partition before you commit)
w (to commit)
q (if necessary - I don't think it is. w drops you back to the command line.)

Look for any error messages. Sometimes a reboot is required. Happened
to me this morning in fact.)

At this point, if I got it right you'll have a Linux partition on the
drive the full size of the drive. You can make smaller ones if you
want to.

Now you format it with ext3

mke2fs -j -L newbackup /dev/sdb1

BE VERY careful here not to type /dev/sda1 or you'll blow away your
existing drive and have to rebuild your system.

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/newbackup

And you're up and running. We can handle putting the mount into
/etc/fstab later if you want.

Cheers,
Mark