Fedora Core 3 Installation Problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 20 16:49:35 UTC 2005

Ang Hsing wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>     I am trying to install FC3 on a server with Software RAID 1
> with 2x120GB harddisks. The problem I have is that right after
> installation on the first boot. I get to this screen that just
> says 'GRUB' and 'hangs' there.

It isn't finding the second level booter.

>     I can't type anything unlike the usual 'grub>' prompt.
> What can be wrong? I have specified a '/boot' partition during
> the configuration. The 2 hard drives are suppose to be identical
> in my configuration.

Uh, there's several possible problems.  Grub may not be installed
in the boot sectors of both disks, or the /boot environment on both
isn't the same.

First, you need to boot off the CD in rescue mode.  Make sure the system
loads the RAID-1 software.   Let the system mount your enviroment and
"chroot/mnt/sysimage" to enter that environment.

You need to edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and make sure that the
boot loader is aimed at the correct boot drive.  If it is, do a
"grub-install" again.

Verify that your /etc/fstab file correctly indicates that "/" and
"/boot" is on the RAID-1 set.  You should then go to /boot and rebuild
your initrd image.  Make sure you add the "-f -v" options to mkinitrd
and verify that the RAID drivers are loaded into the initrd image.

Finally, enter "exit" twice (once to exit the chrooted environment,
twice to force a reboot) and see if it comes up.
-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -