MP3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 20 23:34:10 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 02:07 +0300, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>
>>Scott Mertens wrote:
>>
>>>I have checked my system XMMS seems to be installed, but mp3 support may
>>>have been removed from my version of linux.
>>
>>XMMS is installed and is working perfectly . The mp3 playback has been
>>removed
>>from the version supplied with Redhat Linux due to patent restrictions .
>>
>>  It will play WAV files, but
>>
>>>not mp3's.  Does anybody know a good mp3 player that works with RHEL4
>>
>>XMMS . This time though go to xmms homepage ( www.xmms.org ) or go to
>>dag.wieers.com/packages/xmms and get the apropriate rpm .
>

> I have checked out a few of these websites and found RPM's for Linux 8,
> 9 and FC.  Nothing for RHEL4.

I think you can use the one for FC2.  RHEL4 is based on FC2.  You
may need to do a forced install if the dependencies don't quite line
up.
-    They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you'll hear    -
-   Satanic messages, but if you play it forwards, it will install   -
-           Windows...which means Satan is in your system.           -