.bash_histoty

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Apr 21 16:14:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:06:40AM -0600, Scott Mertens wrote:
> Is the .bash_history file a FIFO type file?  I want to save some of the
> commands I have used so I don't forget them. I just want to be sure the
> file is not completely overwritten once it reaches it's capacity.  Along
> that line, is it possible to increase the number of commands it

yes, you can increase the size of the file.

Make a copy of the file ~/.bash_history and put it somewhere first

The, in ~/.bash_profile put :

HISTFILE="${HOME}/.bash_history"
HISTSIZE=100000
HISTFILESIZE=100000

then logout and log back in (OR - source this file in
every environment you have active or activate from now until
you do logout and log back in, the first way is easier)

PS, you don't have to make it 100000.  You can make it bigger or
smaller.