can't change ownership on files

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 22 23:36:04 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Yup.  You still haven't said why they need to chown a file.  There is
virtually never a good reason to allow that.

If people need to share a file, make them all part of the same group and
grant rwx group to each file or, alternately, allow the users to join
other groups by putting their usernames in /etc/group or allowing the
"newgrp" command.
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -