Copy & Paste

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 4 02:46:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 06:37:23PM -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm running RH9 and Gnone and am having a terriable time trying
> to copy things from one application to another.
>
> Lets say I'm in Mozilla at a web site and want to copy a
> paragraph to an openoffice document.   Sometimes I can highlight
> the paragraph,  click on the two outer mouse buttons then move to
> the openoffice document and click the center button and it copies
> - other times it doesn't work.  The Cut/Paste commands under EDIT
> don't ever seem to work.

Umm, you copy stuff to the X cut buffer using only the left mouse
button.  You start with the left mouse button at the beginning (or end
if you want to do it in reverse) of the material, drag the cursor to
the other end of the material you want to copy, then let up on the
left mouse button.

Then go to the other app, say, ooffice, and with the cursor where you
want to plant it, hit the middle mouse button.

I guess I could have just quoted this:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-intro-copypaste.html

Which is why, by the way, I will not do without a three-button mouse.

Also, double click will normally copy a word to the cut buffer, and a
triple click will copy the whole line to the cut buffer.

> Can anyone help out there or is this one of those to be built
> features.....
>
> Thanks,
>

> Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
>
> There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
> understand binary and those that don't.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.