system imag backup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Aug 10 18:41:19 UTC 2005

Yazan Al-Sheyyab wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Can i use the first CD for RHEL AS V3 for itanium  and boot from it
> in rescue mode then try to back the /mnt/sysimage into a tape drive
> (/dev/st0) ????
>
>  i mean ( does having the /mnt/sysimage in a tape can be regarded as
> system image for my system after a crash for my system ??? )
>
>   Can i do that and have redunduncy for my stsem ???????
>
>   i am having a trouble about how to haev an image back up and i am in a
> hurry..

No.  Booting in rescue mode will cause the system to try to find
existing Linux partitions on your hard drive and mount them as
/mnt/sysimage ("/" will be mounted at "/mnt/sysimage", "/usr" will be
mounted at "/mnt/sysimage/usr", etc.)

Tape drives are sequential storage devices, NOT block-oriented random-
access storage devices.  Only block storage devices (such as disks) can
be mounted.  You can install a minimal system and recover from tape,
but you can't mount it.
-       "Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context."       -