Password aging

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Thu Aug 18 16:31:12 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Stevens [mailto:rstevens at vitalstream.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:07 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Password aging

Allen, Jack wrote:

> [...]

You need to set the "-W n" (warn days) option to chage.  In other words,
to set a user's account to expire on September 1, 2005, and warn them
for 7 days previous, the chage command would be:

     # chage -E 2005-09-01 -W 7 username

> 	I assume it is the login program that handles this by what it finds
> in the shadow file. I have also looked for configuration options for
login,
> to try and determine if it should be paying any attention to the aging
> information in the shadow file. I could not find anything. I have even
> looked a PAM and found /etc/pam.d/login. But I determined by looking at
the
> last accessed time on the file that it was not being accessed when I
tested
> logging in. So I am still looking for what controls making the user change
> their password after some number of days.

That's the "-M" option.  Here's a form I use a lot and sets the
following criteria:

     Disable an account after 60 days of inactivity
     Allow a user to change passwords whenever they want
     Force a password change every 30 days
     Warn the user for 7 days to change their password

The corresponding chage command is:

     # chage -I 60 -m 0 -M 30 -W 7 username

You do know that chage will run in interactive mode if you don't specify
any options, e.g.

     # chage username

=============
This is the settings for user white3. When I connect I enter the login name
and then the password and get the shell prompt. It never warns me the
password will or has expired. So what am I missing? As I asked earlier,
exactly what program is suppose to be checking the values? I assume login,
maybe using one of the PAM configuration files.

Changing the aging information for white3
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default

        Minimum Password Age [0]:
        Maximum Password Age [1]:
        Last Password Change (YYYY-MM-DD) [2005-08-15]:
        Password Expiration Warning [1]:
        Password Inactive [14]:
        Account Expiration Date (YYYY-MM-DD) [2005-08-22]:

Thanks:
Jack Allen