NFS help

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:52:57 UTC 2005

On 8/26/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> Your 2 cents are worth more than that and if I was doing this for
> anything important I probably would give it a fixed IP.  BUT I'm
> trying to figure this stuff out (like my kids say) "JUST CAUSE".
>
> If in the real world people do this with fixed IP's then I'll do
> that (the machine I'm on has a fixed IP for other such reasons).
> BUT for learning I thought I'd try it with DHCP.

Brad,

You can have dhcp give out fixed-addresses based on mac's and enter
the appropriate stuff into DNS to resolve the name/ip assigned by
dhcp. Using dhcp on your home network is quite nice once you get it
set up because every subsequent installation is that much easier ...
tweak the dhcp configuration and just install using dhcp. Running a
caching nameserver with resolution of your internal IPs is a "good
neighbor" thing to do too imo.
John