NFS help

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 00:31:10 UTC 2005

On 8/27/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, inode0 wrote:
>
> > On 8/26/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > So, why bother with DHCP if  your going to assign a fixed IP
> > > anyway?  Just wondering...
> >
> > If you use DHCP anyway, perhaps you have a dynamic pool of IPs you
> > hand out to random machines that "plug in" to your network, perhaps
> > you have a pool of IPs (dynamic or fixed) to use with machines that
> > boot over the network, you just might find it more convenient to set
> > up all of your machines to configure their networking using DHCP. That
> > is usually much simpler than configuring things by hand.
> >
> > You can still configure the machines with fixed addresses by hand if
> > you prefer, but you can also boot them up with DHCP providing the
> > networking details.
> >
> > John
> >
> John,
>
> I don't follow what your saying - I'm trying to set up an NFS
> system using DHPC - it sounds like your suggesting I use DHCP
> (which I am) but how do I set up my /etc/fstab to mount the files
> on different machines using hostnames with IP's that can change
> under DHCP?
>
> Brad

Brad,
   As I've said, I'm no expert at this. I don't use DHCP. I don't want
to. You get the picture.

   That said I believe the basic requirement is that the DHCP server
needsto also be a DNS server. A machine with a name asks for an
address and is given one. That address and name have to be mapped into
the DNS server so that any other machine on the network can discover
the address from the name.

   So, I believe that if you are going to do this you need to point
all your machines to an internal DNS server, most likely in the
firewall. My firewall has one. For instance I look for www.cisco.com
first using an outside DNS server, which happens to be my default
server:

mark at flash ~ $  nslookup www.cisco.com
Server:         204.127.199.8
Address:        204.127.199.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.cisco.com
Address: 198.133.219.25

Following that I ask my firewall for the same info. Notice that the IP
address of the server (linksys) is 192.168.1.1:

mark at flash ~ $  nslookup www.cisco.com linksys
Server:         linksys
Address:        192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.cisco.com
Address: 198.133.219.25

mark at flash ~ $

The firewall gives me the same address as the outside default DNS server.

If you want to use DHCP then the fireall hands out the address and
puts it in the DNS server it runs. Your internal machines are remapped
to go there (/etc/resolv.conf) and they get the addresses from it.

Geez....it seems so simple maybe I should be using it. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Mark