NFS help (.. is definitely needed)

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 01:46:27 UTC 2005

OK, I'm getting dizzy... I believe right now I'm going with what
Jeff Said - too much magic in what else was said - now Jeff don't
go getting a big head on this - your reply just makes the most
sence to me for the following reasons

1 - it's not magic
2 - thew eork would be in a mess if the DNS servers could be
updated by anyone - that would be a mess, Just think how easy a
virus could make it impossible for anyone to get anywhere on the
web.
3 - NO ONE IN THE WORLD needs to know what IP address comcast has
assigned to me (there than comcast). Someone sends me an email
and it goes back to comcast.net then comcast holds that email
until I request it to be either delivered to my box or I read
it
on line -both times I'm using the current IP assigned to me and
my login and password.  I would imaging if fetchmail sent out a
request and there was a delay and my IP got changed before I got
my mail it would just bounce back to comcast and wait for a
second try.  I could see if it happened in a split second that my
email could be sent to a different machine IF that machine had
fetchmail waiting for some mail to be delivered...

I'm going back to see what I can do about my NFS connections - I
have been convinced that a "server" needs aa static IP for the
best reliablility (read EASY).

Thanks and let the debate go on....

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.