host.conf problem

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 23:18:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 06:06:20PM -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> On log-in, I periodically and sporadically get a message that the system
> can't determine the host for Internet use.  When I check the host.conf
> folder it is missing the "localhost.localdomain" info.

That does not compute.  /etc/host.conf (a file, not a folder) normally
contains

  order hosts,bind

and that's all.  Perhaps you're thinking of /etc/hosts, which should
have something like (mine as an example):

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.2.2     bobcat.bobcatos.com     bobcat

> I can fix it by (as root) copying hosts.bak to this folder but it is
> kind of a pain.
>
> Any ideas as to why this periodically drops out?  I'm using FC2.
>
> Thanks

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.