Wireless Help

Ali Erdinç Köroğlu erdinc at prosoft.com.tr
Sat Dec 3 13:23:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:33:17 -0700 (MST)
brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> I've got FC2 running on a Dell Latitude and just got a Linksys
> wireless card for it.  I can't get the computer to talk to my
> Linksys wireless router
>
> I've installed ndiswrapper 1.6 and it seems to be working OK.
>
> basic commands as going through the setup are:
>
> ndiswrapper -l
> net8180 driver present, hardware present
>
> modprobe ndiswrapper
> nothing displayed
>
> dmesg
> ndiswrapper: version 1.6 loaded
>
> The lights are on as they should be
>

> iwconfig
> two warnings
> 1 - driver for device wlan0 has been complied with version 17 of
> wireless extension, while this program is using version 16.  Some
> things may be broken....
>
> 2 - Driver for device wlan0 recommended version 18 of wireless
> extension, buthas been compoied with version 17, theefore some
> driver features may not be available...

Those errors are not important :)

Let me try to explain what I did, for your security in you AP you should make MAC address based connection.
Type your pcmcia card's MAC address in to your AP webbased console wireless-security section and then..

su -
modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0 essid <your-essid> mode managed
ifconfig wlan0 <IP> netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw <your AP IP>

If still your not able to connect to your AP check MAC address and security sections.

- --
Regards
Ali Erdinç Köroglu
http://www.prosoft.com.tr