Wireless Help

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Dec 4 11:48:23 UTC 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 05:17, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> > Hi,
> > Type your pcmcia card's MAC address in to your AP webbased console
> > wireless-security section and then..
> >
> > su -
> > modprobe ndiswrapper
> > iwconfig wlan0 essid <your-essid> mode managed
> > ifconfig wlan0 <IP> netmask 255.255.255.0
> > route add default gw <your AP IP>
> >
> > If still your not able to connect to your AP check MAC address and
> > security sections.
> >
> > - --
> > Regards
> > Ali Erdinç Köroglu
> > http://www.prosoft.com.tr
>
> Thank you - this worked. Now how do I get it all to be there when
> I reboot?
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Fedora

has full instructions for configuring ndiswrapper on Fedora Core (they should
apply equally to RHEL4 if you need them to)
basically, you will need to:
add the necessary lines to /etc/modprobe .conf
create a configuration file:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 which contains something like the
following:

# NDIS Wrapper Configuration: Linksys WM5P54G
DEVICE=wlan0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
TYPE=Wireless
MODE=Managed
ESSID=Your_ESSID
IPADDR=192.168.70.124
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.70.120
RATE=Auto
# technically you don't actually *require* the following...
HWADDR=your:mac:address

you could try BOOTPROTO=dhcp if you like

if you would rather configure the interface using the system-config-network
tool you'll have to rename it - the tool does not support names like wlanX
out of the box.

Regards

Stuart