Wireless Help

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 17:27:41 UTC 2005

> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Fedora
>
> has full instructions for configuring ndiswrapper on Fedora Core (they should
> apply equally to RHEL4 if you need them to)
> basically, you will need to:
> add the necessary lines to /etc/modprobe .conf
> create a configuration file:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 which contains something like the
> following:
>
> # NDIS Wrapper Configuration: Linksys WM5P54G
> DEVICE=wlan0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> TYPE=Wireless
> MODE=Managed
> ESSID=Your_ESSID
> IPADDR=192.168.70.124
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.70.120
> RATE=Auto
> # technically you don't actually *require* the following...
> HWADDR=your:mac:address
>
> you could try BOOTPROTO=dhcp if you like
>
> if you would rather configure the interface using the system-config-network
> tool you'll have to rename it - the tool does not support names like wlanX
> out of the box.
>
> Regards
>
> Stuart

Stuart,

Thank you - this did it. On boot was "NO" so I changed it to yes
and it's now working.  Also, I was able to set it up so DHCP
works so I'm all set to go.

Thank you very much and I'll get those instructions, the ones I
have are from source forge and general in nature.

Thanks to every one that helped me.

Brad