Oops! Messed up PCI!

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sun Dec 4 22:05:43 UTC 2005

Greetings Bob ,

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:12:09PM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:

< snip >

> growisofs may well do what you want.  It's what I use for backups, but
> I'm backing up bzip2-ed cpio gaggles.  Dunno how to do an image.

An iso image you mean ?
mkisofs does that for you . But i don't know what you need the iso image
for ?
Assuming i want to burn on a dvd a directory called /home/root/sources
then

growisofs -R -J -Z /dev/scd0 /home/root/sources

will do the work

where
       -R mean the Rockridge extensions
       -J  the Joliet extensions , Windows love these
      -Z  specifies the device

Well some can note here that -J ( the Joliet extensions ) are there
usually for a DVD that needs to be read under Microsoft Windows ,
in which case the -R is also specified  ( not that they are actually
needed ) in order to avoid a warning from mkisofs that the non
standard Joliet extensions have been specified whereas the Rockridge
extensions haven't .
I don't know which is the standard and which it isn't standard
all i know though is that burning a DVD/ CD with only
the -J option specified doesn't break anything

But remember this will burn a DVD with some stable files , some *.tar.gz
files not /var/log/messages a file that changes constantly .
The OP can take a snapshot of his system but am uncertain where that can
really help him recover from a system messed up by yum/update should the
link goes down in the middle of the final proccess ( The phase that it
actually
makes the updates , after downloading has finished .

Kind Regards,
    Kostas