no linux after reboot

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 8 16:25:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 05:03:51AM +1300, Grant Allan wrote:
> hi,
>
> after installing all FC4 CDs and choosing reboot, my PC just brings up
> windows again.  (i thought i had told it i wanted grub on /hda, but i
> guess not.)
>
> what steps should i take?  i don't really mind whether i end up with GRUB
> or NTLDR - whichever is easier.
>
> thanks,
> grant

Boot your CD 1 to rescue mode (put "linux rescue" at the boot prompt).
Let it mount your system on /mnt/sysimage.  At the prompt, do this:

  chroot /mnt/sysimage
  cat boot/grub/grub.conf

See to it that it created a decent grub.conf similar to mine:

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1644_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 ro root=/dev/bobcatvg/root1
        initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.img

Yours will have different details but the same structure.  Then

  grub-install /dev/hda
  exit
  exit

Yes, exit twice - once out of the chroot and once out of the rescue
shell, and it will reboot.

Pop out the CD and it should boot linux.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.