no linux after reboot

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 9 16:26:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 05:03:01AM +1300, Grant Allan wrote:

> >> After
> >> add

> >> the

> >> today

> >> ok,
> >>
> >> so since my second hard-drive is on the same ribbon as /dev/hda, i
> >> expect
> >> it to be hdb, not hdd.
> >>
> >> this makes it odd that calling grub-install generated an error that
> >> "/dev/hdd1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive"
> >
> > Yeah, it's not clear where that came from if there's no reference to
> > it in the grub.conf
> >
> >> is it possible to fire up that druid thingy from the rescue cd to see if
> >> the names are mixed up?
> >
> > I don't think it's that bright, and I think it's useful only during
> > installation.  I'd just make sure that grub.conf refers to the
> > primary-slave drive as variously /dev/hdb, (hd1), and the like, and
> > that device.map has this line in it:
> >
> > (hd1)     /dev/hdb
> >
> >> cheers,
> >> grant
>
> hi,
>
> strange but true: if i replace the line about /dev/hdd with the line
>  (hd1)     /dev/hdb
> then i get the same error back when running grub-install:
>   /dev/hdd1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
>
> i've also tried
>  (hd1)     /dev/hdd
> but then i get the same error 21 as i before with
>  (hd3)     /dev/hdd
>
> what to do next? any ideas about what could be causing both anaconda and
> qtparted to think that this drive is hdd? does the error code 21 give any
> clues?  i'm a bit lost.
>
> thanks,
> grant

Well, when all else fails, Google.  I Googled for "grub loading error
21" and it led me to this

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2003-02/msg00078.html

Go to the third posting in that thread

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2003-02/msg00082.html

for his solution.  I don't know how it fixes things or if it's
relevant, but he had to turn on auto-detect in his BIOS.

One other thing I noticed in his grub.conf was a line like this:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/1
    initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

You probably have "root=LABEL=/" or something like that.  That's
another evil - partition labeling for dummies.  I'd change the
"LABEL=<whatever>" to /dev/hdd5 or whatever it really is.  It's the
partition that mounts on /.  It may work on a first-time installation,
but the next time you add a disk drive from another machine, GRUB will
become very confused with filesystems from each disk that both have
the same label.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.