Remote Desktop Connection

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 2 19:12:15 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> This prigram comes with RedHat 9 and I'm guessing it's there to
> connect with the same program running on an XP server.

Uh, are you referring to "rdesktop"?

> I can't connect.  I do get an error message when I start RDC
> telling me I must not have SLP support configured correctly so it
> can't browse for connections.  How can I configure SLP?  Also, I
> know the IP for the computer I need to connect to (I can connect
> to it using RealVNC but I'm getting no where using RDC).  So, I
> don't know if I need SLP as I'm not browsing (but probably will
> need to in the future).  I'm getting pressed to use RDC and not
> Real.

If we're dealing with rdesktop, the other end (the Windows machine) has
to be running its "terminal services" server.  If the remote end is
XP/Home, you're out of luck because XP/Home doesn't have a terminal
services server package and this whole discussion is moot.  You can set
up "remote assistance" on XP/Home, but it's not quite the same.

As far as SLP is concerned, I think that means you have to have Samba
configured and running so it can browse the network and find nodes that
have terminal services running.  If you know the IP address or DNS
hostname, you don't need it.

The only reason for not using VNC is because the VNC server at the
remote end lets you take over the remote machine and only one connection
at a time is allowed.  I believe the Windows VNC server can be set up to
allow VNC as a session (like remote desktop) and allow multiple
connections.

IMHO, I really don't see any benefit in rdesktop over VNC and I can't
see why you're being pressed to use rdesktop.  We have literally
hundreds of servers here and we use VNC almost exclusively.  The nice
thing about VNC is that it works equally well on Windows and Unix/Linux.
One tool for multiple jobs.  That's a "good thing".
- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -