Remote Desktop Connection

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Feb 3 16:31:29 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>> krdc is KDE's front end to rdesktop.
>>
>> Again, that's gotta be XP/Pro.  XP/Home doesn't have it.
>>
>> Do you have iptables running?  rdesktop uses TCP port 3389.
>>
>> I'm sure it's RDP (remote desktop protocol).
>
> OK so I'm using rdesktop to talk to XP/Pro (actually Home is
> suppose to have it but it doesn't by default install it, it's
> suppose to be on the disk someplace but Yes we are using Pro at
> work.
>
> OK, now we know what I'm doing (that's a major step) has anyone
> had the problems I'm having?   I don't believe I'm got iptables
> running, I'm behind a different firewall at home and figured I
> didn't need the extra headache of keeping iptables going but I may
> have started it by mistake (how do I tell?).
>
> Again, I use VPN to get into my work computers then I use RealVNC
> to access some of the machines and as they convert machines to
> XP/Pro they want me to start using "Remote Desktop" as it comes
> with XP/Pro and they have enough problems keeping the machines
> working not to have to worry about me wanting to use Linux.
>
> When I start "Remote Desktop Connection" that comes with RedHat 9
> I get an error message saying I must not have SLP as it can't
> browse the network.   I do have samba working (at least it can
> see the windows machines in my house and we share printers).
>
> Using RDC I can't get on any of the XP machines even knowing the
> machine name and IP.  Just says it can't find it.
>
> OK, I believe that's what going on.

First, I recommend NOT using RDESKTOP to Windows XP, period. The reason?
When you connect, you take over the machine and kick the person off that's
using it. It's not at all like VNC because they can't see what you are
doing. The just see the login screen and if they login, you get kicked
off.

Okay, if you can't use VNC anymore, then good luck keeping your users
happy and here's how to get Rdesktop working (I run it from a command
prompt when I need it). One solution you may have missed is that on XP you
have to open the Control Panel, click on the Security Center, then click
on the Windows Firewall at the bottom of the screen. You can have the On
radio button clicked, but then click on Exceptions and make sure Remote
Desktop is checked. I also make it a habit to add Run VNC Server by
clicking on Add Programs and then selecting Run VNC Server as an option.
It knows what ports to open. Click on OK and you should be able to
connect, after a reboot perhaps.

HTH,

Karl