Remote Desktop Connection

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 4 00:53:47 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm top posting because I have a break through - of sorts.
>
> by puting in the IP address then :3389 I am at least getting the
> command that this server isn't accepting any more connections.

Yes, one user at a time is the limit for RDP.  It's interesting that you
must specify the port number.  3389 is the default for RDP.

>>From what I've read and been told only one person at a time can
> be connected or logged on so it looks like I'm getting in from
> HOME to Work.  Now to get the machine all to myself (this right
> here is a great reason to NOT use this program - we need to
> share).

Yup, that's one of the reasons that RDP is clunky.

> Thanks everyone I'll mess more with the SLP and see if I can get
> that working.

I'm curios...were you running rdesktop from the command line or via
the GUI?  If it's the GUI, then yes, it wouldn't know to use 3389.
RDP is on port 3389, VNC is on port 5900.
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -