Issues with rsh and kerberos

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 4 18:02:48 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

It depends.  NIS essentially supplements /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and
/etc/group for login authentication.  It can also invoke the automounter
and such.  Kerberos is also an authentication mechanism, but it
supplants the need for things such as "~/.rhosts" files and such by
passing around secure credential tickets.

In other words, if rsh gets a valid Kerberos ticket, it knows that the
user has been authenticated previously and doesn't need to bother itself
with that.  Kerberos essentially allows you to authenticate once, then
use that authentication to access all of the various services IN THE
KERBEROS REALM without having to re-authenticate.

Can you use both?  Certainly!  Should you?  It depends on what you're
trying to accomplish.  It's very useful for single-point authentication
on a server farm, for instance.  The downside is that Kerberos doesn't
provide encryption (many people mistakenly think it does).  All
conversations between the systems using stuff such as rsh, rlogin, etc.
remain in plaintext, so the network still must be pretty secure.
-        "More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"         -