Media test failure on CDs burnt from ISO file at 99%

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat Feb 5 04:05:02 UTC 2005

Hello Folks,

I know this has been discussed innumerable times here but I have a
somewhat different problem.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and install (upgrade) from FC2 to
FC3. I had burnt the CDs some time ago using Nero Burning Rom SE under
Win XP SP2. I checked them at the time by making sure there was a file
system on the CDs.

I put CD1 in my drive and booted to the FC3 boot screen, hit 'Enter' and
Linux and the USB and firewire drivers loaded etc.

I then proceeded to test the CDs. All 4 of them tested to 99% then the
drive slowed down, Linux sat there for a while then returned a 'Fail'.
All 4 of the CDs failed at 99%.

I tried burning a couple of other Disk 1 ISOs to CD including ticking
the box that said something like 'Finish the CD, no more writing' or
similar and burning from the DVD the ISOs came on (Australian Personal
Computer magazine DVD) as well as from the ISO copied from the DVD to
Hard Disk. No joy! Same failure when testing the CD.

Has anyone else come across a similar problem, and if so, what is the
remedy?

Very frustrating! I am not prepared to do an upgrade until I can get the
media test to complete successfully, for obvious reasons.

Kind regards,

Graeme.