nfs mount locally exported directories in a Red HAt Cluster (v3)?

evdhn at advalvas.be evdhn at advalvas.be
Fri Feb 11 00:07:08 UTC 2005

>>>First, are you sure the device is being exported by arneb and that arneb
>>>is permitted to mount it?  A "showmount -e arneb" will show what's being
>>>exported and who's allowed to look at it.
>>>
>>>I'm not familiar with RH's HA (high availability) structure so I can't
>>>speak to the details, but generally it's something along those lines.
>>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>

>> It must be a RH HA thing then.
>>
>> # showmount -e arneb
>> Export list for arneb:
>> /usr/local/lepus-bb                          arneb,nihal
>> /usr/local/lepus-bb/server                   gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
>> /usr/local/lepus-bb/content                  gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
>> /usr/local/lepus-bb/sessions                 gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
>> /usr/local/lepus-bb/course_image_main_images gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
>>
>> Even when I specify that all nodes ("*") should have access, it still
>> won't work. :-(
>
> I'm not certain what HA means by "service", but generally, NFS mounts
> specify the remote end as "nodename:/export", not as "service:/export".
> Try:
>
> 	mount -t nfs arneb:/usr/local/lepus-bb /usr/local/bb
>
> on nihal and see if that works.  It should.  Also make sure that the
> server (arneb) is running nfsd.  The existance of an exports file should
> trigger it.
A service (= linux, Tru64 terminology, = resource group on aix, = packages
on HP UNIX if I remember correctly) roughly is a collection of a virtual
ip-address (alias), disk devices, and application processes, that can be
accessed through the virtual ip-address.
In my current situation, arneb and nihal are hostnames, lepusbb is an
alias (normally on eth0:1 when the service runs on arneb).

RH HA is explained in:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/pdf/rh-cs-en.pdf

Kind regards,

emma