No more audio after upgrading the packages on RNH

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Feb 11 11:46:43 UTC 2005

Nicolas.Castagne at imag.fr wrote:
> % ls /etc/module.conf
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
> alias eth0 e1000
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
> 2>&1 || :
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
> # Turn off mcdx modules
> alias block-major-20 off
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> alias char-major-195 nvidia

okay looks to me like it is trying to find a specific kernel sound
driver and you don't have it (or your modules.conf is totally wrong).

what are the lines referring to sound  in the *functional* machine's
/etc/modules.conf? (Assuming the two machines are identical)

which kernel version are you now updated to?
# uname -r

UIAVMM the kernel is trying to load snd-intel8x0 as a driver, which
certainly does not exist on my system (although the one I am sat in
front of now has quite an old kernel on it) any where in
/lib/modules/kernel/drivers

what happens if you run
# kudzu -p
(as root?)

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
Sysadmin, trainer and general ne'er-do-well